Ugh. What a horrible day today. Every teacher’s worst nightmare- crickets. If I thought I was amusing anyone other than myself, I would have pulled a “Bueller? Bueller?” So now I am sitting here thinking about what went wrong and what I should have done differently.
Here is what we did: The lesson was our first one in our data unit and we were looking at surveys and sampling methods. We took a few notes on sampling methods, then I had the kids come up with the population, sample, and possible bias for a few different situations. This was when the crickets started to sound. They just couldn’t understand what these things meant and how they were different. Then we did a population/sample/possible bias matching activity where I gave them a situation and a list of the populations, samples, and biases all mixed up. They had to match the correct answers. The tricky part was that I left one of the answers off of each of the situations, and they were supposed to fill that in.
I have come to two conclusions…
1. I should have done a few quick notes then have them do the matching first before I had them come up with their own populations/samples/biases. I also should not have left one off. It was too confusing. Next time I will just give them all of these pieces. It was too much to do at once for something they had probably never seen before.
2. I really don’t think there is a problem with lessons that aren’t earth shattering and on-the-edge-of-your-seat engaging at every minute. The world we live in has made a group of kids who tune out the minute I am not dancing around in front of them waving something brightly colored. I sat through many many boring lessons where I had to take notes and spit the info back out and I learned the material just fine. I do not thing we should have to make every single lesson a huge production. However, this one still sucked 🙂